Coven Code of Conduct & Membership Agreement
This Membership Agreement (“Agreement”) is between you (“you” or “Member”) and The Coven LLC (“we” or “the Coven”). The Coven provides a physical space created for women and non-binary folks located at 30 North 1st Street, Minneapolis, MN 55401 (“the Space”). You should also review our website www.thecovenmpls.com - the information contained on our website is incorporated into this Agreement by reference.
1. Member Info. We need the following information from you input into our member app, so that we can stay in communication with you throughout your membership. You are responsible for letting us know if your information changes.
- Name (First, Last)
- Company Name, if applicable
- Phone number
- Email address
- Preferred pronouns
- Payment information
2. Becoming a Member. To become a Member and before you use the Space for the first time you must:
- Review, complete, and sign this Agreement;
- Pay your initial membership fees
3. Agreement. This Agreement will govern your use of the Space and your relationship with The Coven. This Agreement may change from time to time, and you are responsible for checking the website frequently and reviewing this Agreement when we notify you of updates to it, so you know what’s expected of each of us.
4. Expectations. We expect our members to act respectfully towards the other people in the Space and to take good care of the Space. If someone complains about your behavior, or if we believe that your behavior is unacceptable for any reason, we reserve the right to terminate your membership immediately without a refund, upon notice to you.
5. Termination. Other than termination for unacceptable behavior, as mentioned above, we will give you a minimum of 30 days written notice before terminating your membership. You must give us 30 days written notice before you terminate your membership, as well. Both annual and monthly memberships are transferable upon individual termination. Annual memberships are non-refundable. A one month fee ($200) will be due upon termination of a monthly membership.
6. Policies. You are bound by The Coven’s policies and procedures, which The Coven will communicate to you from time to time, through various means. All such policies and procedures are incorporated into this Agreement by reference. You should ask The Coven staff if you have any questions about a given policy or procedure.
7. Fees. Membership fees are due on the first day of each month and may be made by credit card or by electronic funds transfer. You must pay your membership fees on time. If you do not, you will not be allowed to use the Space.
8. Purpose. You agree to use the Space only for lawful purposes. You will not use the Space for any unlawful purpose, including anything that may damage or interfere with the Space or the ability of other people to use the Space. You are responsible for using the Space safely, and you agree to waive any claim you may have against The Coven for injuries you sustain or cause or that are associated with your use of the Space.
9. Privacy. You will respect the privacy of the other members and The Coven staff. You will not intentionally access any information or systems for which you are not an intended or permitted user. If you gain access to information or systems, through whatever means, which you should reasonably know are private, you will cease such access as quickly as possible, and take reasonable measures to inform the owner of the access.
10. Confidentiality. You may come in to contact with the confidential information of other people during your use of the Space. Confidential information includes information that is not public, and information that you have reason to know (or should have reason to know) is confidential or proprietary in nature. You agree that you will keep such information confidential and will not disclose it to any other person or use it for any purpose. You agree to return and/or destroy any such information upon the legitimate request of its owner.
11. Authority. By signing this Agreement and becoming a member, you represent that you have the authority to enter in to this Agreement, become a member, and use the Space and doing so will not infringe on the rights of any third parties. You also acknowledge and agree that you do not have the authority to bind The Coven or any other member and you will not hold yourself out at having that authority.
12. Insurance. The Coven carries general liability insurance, which covers the Space. You should carry your own insurance to cover your personal property that you use while at the Space.
13. Photo Release. You agree that The Coven may take photographs and video of the Space, and may stream or record the Space through other means, at any time. You agree that The Coven may use your image or likeness if captured at the Space for any purpose and without restriction, in any form or media, and whether or not altered without any further or additional consideration, payment, or consent by you.
14. Maintenance. You must do your part to maintain the Space in a clean and working condition. Throw away your trash, clean up your spills, put away your items when you’re done with them, etc. If there is a problem with the Space that you did not cause or cannot fix, let The Coven staff know right away.
15. Hosting Guests. Each Member gets guest hours each week, depending on the type of membership. Your guests must sign in at The Coven before they use the Space. You are responsible for your guests while they are in the Space. You must ensure that they comply with this Agreement, as this Agreement applies to their Use of the Space while they are with you.
16. Events. Members may host personal and work events in the Space, subject to availability and approval by The Coven prior to commencement of the event. Additional fees may apply depending on the nature of the event, number of people expected to attend, and availability of the Space for such purpose.
17. Pets. The Coven loves pets. However, animals are not allowed in the building or in the Space. If you use a registered service animal, please let The Coven know prior to using the Space.
18. Children. Members may bring children six (6) months of age or younger with them to the Space. Members may also bring children with them to child-friendly events. The Coven knows that women and children are often connected and strives to create a welcoming and accommodating environment for parents. However, it is a shared space; if you bring a child or children with you, you are responsible for making sure that the child or children follow the rules associated with the Space and do not interfere with the ability of other members to work productively and enjoy the Space.
19. Safety & Surveillance. The Space is under video surveillance. You should know that, while you and any guests that you are hosting are in the Space, you may be monitored and recorded. You are solely responsible for your own safety and the safety of your personal items while at the Space. The Coven is not responsible for any theft, damage, or alteration of your person or personal items while at the Space.
20. Disclaimer. THIS COWORKING SERVICE IS PROVIDED “AS IS.” YOUR USE OF THE SPACE IS A SERVICE ONLY. IT IS NOT A LEASE OF REAL PROPERTY. THE COVEN DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, OR STATUTORY. THESE INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO: MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR USE. THE ENTIRE RISK OF USING THE SPACE AND/OR THE COVEN’S OTHER SERVICES, IF ANY, REMAINS WITH YOU.
21. Limitation of Liability. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COVEN OR ITS AGENTS, OWNERS, MEMBERS, EMPLOYEES, CONTRACTORS, AFFILIATES, OR OTHER RELATED PARTIES (“RELATED PARTIES”) BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR OTHER DAMAGES OF ANY KIND ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY RELATED TO THE SERVICES THE COVEN PROVIDES, YOUR USE OF THE SPACE AND/OR THIS AGREEMENT.
THE TOTAL LIABILITY OF THE COVEN AND RELATED PARTIES, AND YOUR TOTAL AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR ANY DAMAGES YOU MIGHT INCUR FOR ANY REASON WILL BE LIMITED TO YOUR ACTUAL DAMAGES, NOT TO EXCEED $100. THE DISCLAIMER(S) AND LIMITATION(S) OF LIABILITY CONTAINED IN THIS AGREEMENT SHALL APPLY TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, EVEN IF ANY REMEDY FAILS ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE.
22. Indemnification. You agree to release, indemnify, defend, and hold harmless The Coven and Related Parties from and against all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, expenses, judgments, fines and penalties based on or arising out of your willful or negligent actions, errors and omissions, fraud, breach of this Agreement, failure to comply with The Coven policies, or other consequences of your use of the Space or association with The Coven.
23. Assignability. You may not assign your rights or obligations under this Agreement without The Coven’s prior written consent. The Coven may assign rights and obligations under this Agreement in its sole discretion.
24. Minnesota Law. This Agreement, and any dispute arising out of or related to it, or to your use of the Space, will be governed by the laws of the State of Minnesota without regard to its conflicts of laws provisions. Any such disputes will be exclusively venued in the district courts located in Hennepin County, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
25. Continued Waiver. Any waiver of a breach of this Agreement or a policy or procedure of The Coven will not be construed as a subsequent waiver of any future breach.
26. Severability. If any part of this Agreement is determined to be unenforceable or invalid by a court of competent jurisdiction, the remainder of them will continue in full force and effect. The unenforceable or invalid portion may be stricken and replaced with a clause that best effectuates the parties’ intentions.
THE COVEN CODE OF CONDUCT
The Coven Mission: We exist to cultivate a dynamic and diverse community of women and non-binary individuals who inspire each other to live more empowered lives. We are committed to providing a friendly, safe, and welcoming environment for all, regardless of race, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, religious beliefs and physical appearance.
This code of conduct outlines our expectations for everyone who uses the space, whether as a coworker, guest, speaker, or attendee of events taking place at The Coven. The code of conduct applies not only in our space, but also online networks, at all related events, and in one-on-one communications carried out in the context of community business. It also states the consequences of violating these expectations.
We invite members and partners of The Coven to help us create a safer space and positive experiences for everyone. Communities mirror the societies in which they exist. Positive action, pushing back against discrimination, and reflecting on the harmful messages we have all internalized are essential to counteract the many forms of inequality and abuses of power that exist in society.
Expected Behavior: The Coven was built to be an intersectional space, and many differences will be represented. Extra attention must be paid to how we learn from and respect one another. We ask members to help one another to identify areas for growth, they also walk alongside one another in that growth.
We ask you to participate in an authentic and proactive way, helping to care for the space. In doing so, you contribute to the health and longevity of this community resource. Exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions. Alert the staff, event organizers or community leaders if you notice a dangerous situation, someone in distress, or violations of this code of conduct, even if it seems inconsequential.
Pronouns: We want each member and guest of The Coven to feel seen and valued in our space. As such, we ask you to be mindful of your fellow members' personal pronouns, knowing "they/them" may be preferred to "she/her." If you aren't certain, just ask! When addressing groups please default to non-gendered terms like "friends, people, y'all, folks."
Boundaries: Unacceptable behaviors include: intimidating, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, derogatory, or demeaning speech or actions by any participant in our space, online networks, and in all related events and communications.
Harassment includes: harmful or prejudicial verbal or written comments related to race, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, religious beliefs, or physical appearance; inappropriate use of nudity or sexual images in public spaces (including presentation slides); deliberate intimidation, stalking or following; non-consensual photography or recording; sustained disruption of work or events; inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual attention.
Content: Some of the topics and discussions in the space will be intentionally challenging. Discussion or images related to sex, pornography, discriminatory language, or similar is welcome if it meets all of the following criteria: It is necessary to the topic of discussion and no alternative exists, it is presented in a respectful manner, Attendees and members are respectfully given ample warning and opportunity to leave beforehand. This exception specifically does not allow use of gratuitous sexual images as attention getting devices or unnecessary examples. When considering content presentation and discussions we believe the following:
Encourage discussion. The Coven is about building community, and the best way to do it is by fostering meaningful conversations across an intersectional group of people. We want our members to leave with real takeaways for their lives.
Uncomfortable is ok. If being uncomfortable is keeping you from feeling safe or in a place of growth, it is okay to excuse yourself from the setting.
Be respectful. Know that we are all on our own journeys, so people may be more open or closed to specific topics, and that is OK. You have the right as a speaker to be respected by our audience, just as they have a right to be respected by you.
Many conversations about feminism are rooted in whiteness, but our space is for all feminists. We are dedicated to creating conversations that acknowledge the struggles of every woman, acknowledging that institutional systems have left women of color behind.
Recognize and acknowledge privilege. Not everyone comes from the same backgrounds, so it’s important to approach conversations without the assumption that everyone has the same generational wealth, access, opportunities, or experiences.
Noise: Proper etiquette in regard to noise level is also expected. Members must be mindful not to disturb the noise environment, or any specific member of the environment. This is a co-working space. We expect our members to make efforts to recognize the needs of others, and a balance should always be sought to recognize the needs of one, while not hindering the needs of another.
Conversation Volume: Loud conversations tend to be distracting to those around you making it difficult to focus. Be mindful and use your “inside voice.” If you need to take a call, plan it so you can use a meeting room or a phone booth if available.
Productivity: Shared rooms, resources, and services of The Coven are quite open by design. In these areas, it is important to watch our behavior: whether talking, eating, interrupting, or otherwise engaging with your coworkers or guests, please be mindful of the people around you.
Co-founder Accessibility: Each of the four co-founders will be accessible throughout the week, including for private one-on-one conversations during their personal office hours. We’re excited to get to know you better and look forward to making The Coven experience exceptional for all our members.
Food: Members are allowed to bring in outside food and beverages, excluding alcohol, as long as they adhere to the following guidelines: Outside food brought into The Coven may be stored in the fridge for a maximum of one day. At the end of each week our fridge will be cleaned out and all food and food containers will be thrown out. Do not microwave fish (seriously).
Bathrooms & Facilities: The Coven has one bathroom on each floor for women and folks who identify as non-binary. The third floor has a shower and dressing room space for all members. Please be limit use of shower and dressing room to 15 minutes, and feel free to use the towels provided.
Consequences of Violations: Unacceptable behavior from any member, including event organizers and staff, will not be tolerated. Anyone asked to cease a violating behavior is expected to comply immediately. We may additionally decide to take any action we deem appropriate, up to and including a temporary or permanent ban from The Coven without warning and without refund of prepaid fees.
Reporting Guidelines: If you are subject to unacceptable behavior, harassment, or have any other concerns, please notify a staff member, event organizer, or other community member as soon as possible.
If you witness unacceptable behavior, intervene immediately by addressing both parties directly, to tell the first person their behaviour is inappropriate, and to ask the second person what they would need to feel safer or would like to have done about the situation, as well as notifying a staff member or event organizer. The person being harassed is to define what constitutes harassment.
Promotions: We believe in the economic empowerment of women and therefore part of our role is to help uplift and provide a platform. Member promotions can be made by individuals in the member Facebook group.
Addressing Grievances: If you feel you have been falsely or unfairly accused of violating this Code of Conduct, you should notify staff with a concise description of your grievance. Your grievance will be handled in accordance with our existing governance policies.